.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Governor Elmer Anderson

I really don't have a whole lot to say about the passing of former governor Elmer Anderson, since most of what can be said has already been so, and I wasn't around when he was governor. Suffice it to say that I mourn the passing of moderate Republicans as much as him. Even though I am a Democrat, I believe that we need a responsible, viable Republican party. The modern-day Republican party, however, is little more than a bunch of far-right yahoos whose arguments against Democrats seem to be either "You hate America!" or "You want homo marriage!" The debate between smaller government versus larger government, smaller balanced budgets versus investment, and the like have disappeared, since Republicans don't believe in what they are supposed to believe in anymore. They are for accumulating power, and that's about it. Hardly a good thing in a democracy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home