.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, June 26, 2004

Light Rail is here!

Following the long lines last night at Fahrenheit 9/11, I encountered more long lines at the opening of the Hiawatha Light Rail line today.

At around 12:30 I took the bus to the Lake Street station, where I had to wait for at least twenty minutes to even get up to the platform. I decided to head southbound (a mistake, which I later learned), and a train went by before I could find enough room to get on board.

The ride to the Fort Snelling station was impressive. Quiet, smooth, and just in general very nice. I have ridden the "L" in Chicago many times, and compared to that system's old tracks, jumpy rides, and trains in poor condition, this was far better. Bike racks have been included in the trains, a very needed touch.

When I got off the train at Fort Snelling (which everybody had to do), the line to go back towards downtown was over two hours long. I decided to take the bus instead, which was running parallel to the light rail line to ferry the enormous crowds around. After much more waiting in line, and a very slow bus ride later, I arrived back at the Lake Street station and went home. Time: after three o'clock. Almost three hours to go to Fort Snelling and back, a distance of only a few miles. At least for today, light rail is the popularity king.

More info: Metro Transit.

4 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, October 02, 2005, Blogger jon said...

We are trying to find good family guy movie to take the kids this weekend. Good family guy movie reviews are hard to find

I just stumbled onto your blog while looking. Seems to happen to me a lot since I am a knowledge mooch LOL

Thanks

 
At 8:57 PM, October 02, 2005, Blogger ebgcommute said...

Hey, good stuff!
I have a credit card payments site. It pretty much covers credit card payments related stuff.
Check it out later :-)

 
At 4:37 AM, October 11, 2005, Blogger gastips said...

Nice Blog! Its great how useful the internet can be with its wealth of information. I will try and visit you blog on a regular basis to help you out.

If you want any Gas Saving Tips feel free to visit historical gas prices

See ya soon.. :)

 
At 10:22 AM, October 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have an excellent blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a site related to your topic of current gas price as well. It has a few current gas price articles now. I'll be adding more soon.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home