.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, July 11, 2004

Slow summer days

Not much has happened on the political front here of late. There still isn't a special session, and it certainly doesn't look like there will be one. One thing did catch my view this week, however, and that was the bishop of the Diocese of Winona telling Catholics that people who are pro-choice should not receive Communion.

I wouldn't call myself a Catholic these days, but I was raised as one and I did have 13 years of Catholic schooling to (try to) instill in me those values Catholics are supposed to have. Reflecting back, I can't think of spending much time in any of my religion classes on abortion at all. Nor on other topics like gay marriage. I do remember hearing about the parable of the Good Samaritan and other examples to show us that Jesus cared a whole lot more about how we treated other human beings, even our enemies, than whether we voted for the right candidate or not or had the right beliefs about a particular issue that isn't even mentioned in the Bible.

I have to wonder why the no Communion stance is limited to abortion only, and not other Catholic issues like helping those who are at the bottom of the economic ladder. If you are so inclined, perhaps you could drop them a line and ask as I have done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home