.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Billboards

One thing I noticed during my Thanksgiving trip was that Republicans obviously used billboards to directly attack Democrats in the area. One billboard I noticed said "Who introduced bills to reinstate the draft? Democrats." This is true, and I am sure that this billboard had some effect on people's perceptions and their vote.

I have long thought that Democrats need to do the same thing. If you are going to sell anything, whether it be a soda or a political party, you need to craft an identity for it. I don't see much of a Democratic identity anywhere, and this needs to change. Putting up billboards, especially in rural areas where rates are cheaper, is a good way to keep the party alive in between elections and put volunteers to good use. I have heard more of this kind of talk lately, and I hope we get something going on this.

Democrats do have the advantage on issues, but just having a better argument is not going to win elections, just like having the best-tasting pizza in town is no guarantee you will attract people to your restaurant. It takes selling, marketing, creating hype. Some purists will decry this as cheapening the political process, but this is reality, and if Democrats want to win elections, you have to take advantage of reality instead of fighting it.

2 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, December 04, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What part of town is this billboard?

Personally, it bugs me to no end that AM1280 (among the four right wingnut stations in the Twin Cities) and the Taxpayer's League choose to put their billboards up in the I-94 corridor through Minneapolis and St. Paul's most Lefty parts of town. That's about as in-your-face as it gets.

 
At 12:55 AM, December 05, 2004, Blogger R-Five said...

Why did Willy Sutton rob banks?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home