.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Hunter Thompson commits suicide

The Washington Post is reporting that Hunter S. Thompson has committed suicide. He was 67.

American journalism has lost a great pioneer. It is no exaggeration to say that Hunter Thompson is the reason why I became interested in politics. Reading his book "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" got me interested in not only the policy implementation side, but the mechanics. I would regale people with the tale of the South Carolina challenge at the Democratic Convention as he told it. Most people didn't know what the heck I was talking about. After reading that book, there was scarcely a Hunter Thompson book I didn't devour.

I hope that people will keep his family in their thoughts as they go through this tough time.

2 Comments:

At 2:02 AM, February 21, 2005, Blogger Alex said...

Hunter Thompson is the reason why I became interested in politics.Agreed, 100%

Brilliant writer, with one hell of a powerful conscience. I found it interesting to learn in one of his recent collections of letters that he greatly admired Walter Mondale, and kept up an occasional correspondence with him. Which, along with his well-documented hatred of Hubert Humphrey, makes for an interesting Minnesota connection.

It's a damn shame.

 
At 1:09 PM, February 21, 2005, Blogger Rob Cottingham said...

Rotten news, this. Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72 is one of the major reasons I applied to journalism school.

Here's hoping the afterlife has a mojo wire.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home