.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Senate committee approves Gopher stadium

The Senate Government Operations committee approved a funding plan for a Gophers stadium. The plan would have the state pay $7 million a year for 25 years, representing 40% of the cost of the stadium. The University would have to raise the other 60%.

I am against state funding for professional sports teams. The University is another matter, however. First, the University is state-funded to begin with. Second, this plan has the state paying for less than half the cost of the stadium, which is much less than funding plans for a Twins or Vikings stadium.

A Big Ten university needs a real stadium. This is a fiscally responsible plan that benefits the state.

3 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, March 23, 2005, Blogger Paul said...

My initial reaction to such a proposal is to ask to what extent a new stadium will result in better educated students compared to, say, spending that money on reducing class sizes.

I can't deny that a new stadium would be nice, and could well boost morale somewhat, but given that most succesful universities in the world don't have prominent sports teams it would seem a minor consideration. Many millions of dollars for teaching assistants, or better computers, or even better quality food in the canteens, might well be a better use of the money.

 
At 12:40 AM, March 25, 2005, Blogger lloydletta said...

I think academics should be a higher priority for University funding than sports. However I am less opposed to the U Stadium than stadium boondoggles for pro-sports.

 
At 12:55 PM, March 25, 2005, Blogger Carson said...

I would like to see a campus stadium... but then I look at the graduation rates. And then I look at the graduation rates of atheletes. It is absolutely disgusting. Our school's grad rates are easily among the worst in the Big Ten. Or any other NCAA division as well.

The TCF involvement is also making me nervous. They have made a great business of targeting college students (the most likely victims of overdrawn accounts and misuse of credit cards). I think that the U should explore all options available when looking for funding of any program (education or sport)... and they have every right to set-up this type of partnership. But I personally have had bad experiences with TCF and their partnership with UMD, and it worries me that other students will be more likely to experience the same because of this agreement the U is making.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home