.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Disgust

This kind of thing really pisses me off. Instead of pulling the game, why didn't Target and Best Buy simply ensure that the only people who could buy this game were 17 or older? And is there really a difference between "Mature", for 17 and older, and "Adult Only", for 18 and older? Is one year that big a deal?

This thing doesn't make me mad because I'm a gamer; I'm not. I've never played GTA: San Andreas. I played Vice City for a while, but didn't find it to be my cup of tea really. What is pathetic is that this allows people to run around like chickens with their heads cut off about how horrible this entertainment is. I'm willing to bet that Best Buy and Target still sell movies with violence and (gasp!) even nudity in them. How is a game different, especially a game that is already rated as being appropriate only for people 17 and up?

Maybe parents should keep track of the games their kids are playing instead of ranting against those who make them.

2 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, July 21, 2005, Blogger Hammer said...

I think there's a significant part of the population that still sees video games as an activity only for children. It's the same with adult-themed cartoons.

 
At 11:19 AM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alternet has a great article on this today.
http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/23676/
Also Sex in my Ultraviolence here http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/gate/archive/2005/07/22/notes072205.DTL&nl=fix

Because you know boobs are evil and should be banned from the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home