.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

New Vikings stadium? No.

So here's the plan for the new Vikings stadium. Public money? Ya, sure, you betcha.

First, there is the $280 million from an Anoka County sales tax. But without asking voters for permission, which is state law. I'm not sure how I feel about referenda for local sales taxes, but since this is almost like a bond issue, and since a lot of bond issues are voted on by the general public (like school bond issues), I don't see a compelling reason to go against state law here.

Then, there's TIF. Tax-increment financing is abused in my opinion. It should only be used for blighted properties that have no other chance of redevelopment. What is the current site in Blaine right now? An open field? Doesn't sound too blighted to me.

Finally, the plan involves $115 million in infrastructure upgrades. We have a pretty significant transportation funding shortfall in this state, and that means that a lot of pressing needs are going unfulfilled. Expanding a fairly rural portion of I-35W is not a high priority. Here are some good priorities. The 494/35W interchange in Bloomington is another good priority. How about we get these things done first?

Nice try, but I think that I will pass on this plan.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, March 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that thevikings should get a new stadium because they wont be the only ones using it and people woulde like northern lights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home