.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Budget surplus II

They City Pages' Britt Robson has a take on the budget "surplus" in today's edition. He isn't terribly impressed either.

Look, I know that Governor Pawlenty is a politician, and as such he is going to toot his own horn regardless of whether he really deserves it or not. But still, this does seem to go beyond some kind of line. I could never do it; maybe that's why I would make a lousy politician. Ignoring inflation on the expenditure side is the really awful thing. It's like saying that because I got a raise I can afford more house when I purchase one next year, because housing prices aren't going to go up at all. Yeah, right.

1 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, December 08, 2005, Blogger Kevin from Minneapolis said...

Revenue ran two projections for the out biennium, one with inflation and one without, both showed a surplus.

And again, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know that inflation plays a role in the forecast for the current biennium because the budget is already set. So they are comparing inflation-adjusted revenues with a set budget that presumably has inflation factors built in.

I could be wrong b/c I really haven't been able to find an answer, but I think the inflation argument is a non-factor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home