.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sellout

Given the fact that Governor Pawlenty now supports a Twins stadium deal with or without a Hennepin county referendum, I wonder which so-called conservative principles he has left? Certainly not local control. Certainly not keeping the government out of subsidizing businesses. What Republican principle dictates that we give the Twins our taxpayer dollars without asking the public as required by law so they can reap all of the profits?


I guess Pawlenty's not alone in this, though. Apparently, more than half of the House Republican caucus is willing to go along with this too.

I think I feel worst for all of the small businesses in Hennepin county that would jump at the chance to get two-thirds of the cost of a major capital improvement from the county and keep 100% of the revenue it generates, if I recall the latest stadium deal specifics correctly. Unfortunately for them, they don't have the publicity or lobbyists that the Twins have. It's too bad, since these businesses would probably be pretty unlikely to throw a tantrum in the future and threaten to move away, unlike professional sports teams.

I like the Twins as much as the next guy, and I want to see a new stadium for them, but I'm not willing to give my tax money away (and I just did my taxes, so I know what I am talking about) to a business without getting some return on my "investment." If the government is going to put up the majority of the funds for a stadium, then I want the government to get the majority of revenues generated by that stadium. Simple.