.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, May 01, 2006

Clearing up some misconceptions

I like the Twins.

I go to Twins games.

I think the Twins are an asset to the state.

I wish the Twins would play in a real open-air stadium instead of the Metrodome.

I would pay for a stadium by choice in a non-tax way: a Twins stadium IPO, for example, or some other unique funding method.

But I adamantly oppose any tax money going for a stadium.

Carl Pohlad's net worth is $2.8 billion. He could build a $600 million stadium and hardly make a dent it that pile. If that happened, Hennepin County could spend some money for infrastructure improvements, I will not care.

Carl is old, and he will not take that money with him when he dies. I don't know how many kids he has, but if he paid for a stadium himself and has two kids, they would still get more than $1 billion each. Giving more than $500 million each to your kids won't make you the Worst Father of the Year.

Sports teams have been blackmailing governments for too long now. Until the people stand up to them and say "No more!", they will continue to do so.

2 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, May 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The value of the twins will also skyrocket with the buiding of the new stadium, and Pohlad will benefit with the increased value of his asset. I support moderate funding from the state and county, but you are right about the absurdity surrounding Pohlad's inability to pay a larger portion. However, can you expect much more from a guy who purportedly made his fortune forclosing on people during the depression?

 
At 5:20 PM, May 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spoken like a truely regressive liberal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home