.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Credit where it's due

I hate Qwest. I haven't had Qwest phone service for years, and getting rid of them made me very happy. But I have to give them credit for not giving in to the government's domestic spying. No kudos for AT&T and the others, who have apparently happily turned over phone records to the NSA, records on domestic calls that innocent Americans are making. There is no exaggeration anymore: this is Big Brother.

There is no justification for this, no reason. It is tyranny. I can't believe that only one company refused to spy on its customers. Perhaps the others are being paid off nicely, as some have said.

And just because the content of the phone conversations aren't being given to the government doesn't make it okay. Traffic analysis can be just as good as the conversations themselves. If you are a cheating husband, all the proof your wife needs is in the records of who you are calling and when; what you happen to be saying doesn't matter so much.

2 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, May 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sentimets exactly.

 
At 10:29 AM, May 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a theory I'd heard they were effectively being paid off in having net neutrality killed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home