.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Katherine Kersten's Korner

Today's kolumn is about a survey that a lot of people have been talking about: a National Geographic report on how ignorant young people are of geography.

Wingnuttia Level: 1 (Generally recognized as safe)

It's essentially Jay-walking on the Tonight Show. Yes, we all know how ignorant young people are (however, as Kevin Drum pointed out, there are no statistics on how ignorant older people are, so there is no reason to believe that 18- to 24-year olds are any more ignorant than their parents).

She talks about a school that emphasizes memorization of geography, the kind of old rote education that conservatives think can solve all of the world's problems. I don't know about that. It probably isn't a bad thing: I did a very similar thing when I was in school. But one National Geographic survey with incomplete data is not a way to create policy.

It would be interesting to do a survey that not only includes older people, but also takes a look at different kinds of schools. Then we may get some good data.

4 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, May 08, 2006, Blogger Kemps said...

What excatly are your credentials to judge this topic?

 
At 10:23 AM, May 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite frankly it shouldn't take credentials to ask the questions that were brought up.

 
At 6:31 PM, May 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only ask because MN PiG seems to be an expert on so many topics. I would be interested to know if he is learned or just a "know it all" when he poses the many "questions" near and far throughout the blogosphere. For all we know, he might be highly intelligent and that could be missed if we aren’t told. What say you?

 
At 7:00 PM, May 08, 2006, Blogger MN Politics Guru said...

I say, if you like what I write, then read. If you don't, then there are lots of other blogs out there to choose from. I'm not interested in proving my worth to anybody, frankly. These are my own thoughts that I happen to post online, nothing more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home