.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Welfare reform

I was thinking today about unnecessary abortions and such fun stuff, and I thought of a way to wed the conservative favorite of "welfare reform" to a program that is another conservative (and, to be quite honest, a liberal) favorite: reducing abortion. A win all around in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of work-based conditions for receiving welfare, although I see how they can be good if done properly. However, I am a fan of education. So how about this: as a condition of receiving TANF, all recipients must take a comprehensive course on sex education. In addition, contraceptives will be made available free of charge to parents on TANF.

I like this. It will reduce the number of unintended pregnancies, and thus the number of abortions. It will also keep families on TANF from growing larger, putting more strain on both the parents and the financial system. In short, this plan benefits everybody.

So how about it? Is this a good idea? Has it been tried elsewhere (I did a quick search and didn't find anything). I think this is definitely something to think about.

2 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, August 16, 2005, Blogger lloydletta said...

Interesting thought. You might want to send it to your legislator.

 
At 12:25 AM, August 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It kind of sounds like an assumption that poor people are more prone to sexual irresponsibility than their counterparts with higher incomes. I know some pretty sexually irresponsible people from the middle class. We should all have to take that course to be elligible for any government programs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home