.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Giving credibility to the insane

Oh, great. The Star Tribune has weighed in on the ridiculous, created controversy that is the War on Christmas. Of course, it wasn't too hard for them to find some wackos like Tom Prichard of the Minnesota Family Council to rant about how Christmas is being destroyed because some businesses say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

Incidentally, there is even more proof in the article that Prichard is not a Christian. He says, quote, Christmas "is the reason they shop, the significance of the season. Christmas is facing an unnatural exclusion." So, according to Prichard, the birth of Jesus is celebrated by purchasing material objects and going into debt. Nice. That wasn't what I was taught when I was growing up, probably because I wasn't a raging idiotic hypocrite like Prichard is. A question for any Christians out there: doesn't it bother you that somebody like Prichard, who obviously knows nothing about the Christian faith and the teachings of Jesus, is the go-to guy when it comes to religious matters in Minnesota? Anybody? Bueller?

I'd also take serious issue with the notion that "secularists" are to blame. I think that far more self-described Christians are complaining to businesses about not saying "Merry Christmas" than non-Christians telling businesses not to. I've never complained to any business about what they say because I DON'T CARE! Why are Christians, who make up the vast majority of people in this country, so insecure about their faith? Why do they need to see it everywhere they go? Are they all doubting Thomases?

Look, a non-Christian probably isn't going to be elected President in my lifetime, and an agnostic or atheist president never. Christians control just about everything, and yet they still have a persecution complex. Nobody is feeding you to the lions. Get over it.

1 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, December 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I roll my eyes whenever I hear about this, too.

My feeling is that the Targets and the Wal-marts would enthusiastically embrace "Merry Christmas" if they thought it would increase their sales even a fraction of a percent.

This whole campaign on behalf of Merry Christmas seems to be trying to convince Target and Wal-mart and others that sales would increase. I bet retailers have numbers saying otherwise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home