.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Random drug testing of students

I can't say that I like this idea of random drug testing for students for several reasons. First, as the article says at the very end, there is no proof that they work. Considering how much these programs cost, I think the money could be better spent elsewhere. Then there is that huge infringement on people's rights. No, children and teens do not have the same privacy rights that adults do, nor should they. But I think it is counterproductive for the school to force kids to get drug tests when we want to make school an inviting place for kids.

This problem seems especially acute in Cass Lake. Sure, some kids who are involved in sports may decide that they want to continue with their extracurricular activities and will give up alcohol or drugs. But how many students will give up on school instead, ensuring that they will never escape their problems? It seems that what these kids really need is a positive alternative, not punitive measures. Unfortunately, I don't know how to bring more opportunity to that area. The only thing I like about the Cass Lake plan is that they might test staff too. Hey, it's just fair.

As for Forest Lake testing students, give me a break. Do they have too much money burning a hole in their pocket or something?

1 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, December 27, 2005, Blogger Rook said...

I work in the Chemical Dependency field and I can tell you that random drug testing, especially Urinalysis test. It is time consuming, expensive, and worst of all, degrading to the person required to supply the specimen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home