.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Katherine Kersten's Korner

In today's kolumn (which is somehow about why the Republicans picked the Twin Cities for the 2008 Republican National Convention, despite the fact that it was just announced today), Kersten talks about the evolution of politics in Minnesota.

For the most part, it's not bad. It is certainly true that Minnesota is a lot less DFL than in years past, such as in 1984 when it was the only state to go for Mondale. Back in the day, the combination of the Iron Range and the Twin Cities themselves generated big margins for Democrats. With the rise of suburbs and the relative decline of central cities, it has become more balanced. It has not, however, come close to swinging to the Republicans, nor do I think it will.

I do think that is is pretty sad that Kersten has to hold up people like Norm Coleman (empty suit) and Tim Pawlenty (breaker of no-new-taxes promises) as stars in the Republican party. I'm not saying Mark Dayton is my idol, after all. And Michelle Bachman? Please.

But what can you do with that cast of characters? Certainly not run on a positive, forward-thinking platform. Carping about taxes or talking about the horrors of teh gay are not what Minnesotans want to hear, which is why Republicans have not taken over yet, and won't if Republicans don't remember what they used to stand for. Since I don't see that happening anytime soon, the RNC shouldn't expect too many dividends from choosing the Twin Cities for its next convention.

1 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, September 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What worries me most is the age gap that most polling shows in Minnesota. Under-45s lean to the GOP, Over-45s lean to the DFL. That's not a good trend.

I'm not sure Norm Coleman is exactly an empty suit. He's more sociopathic in terms of climbing the greasy pole, sort of like LBJ was in the '40s, except without whatever underlying humanity Johnson retained. And he's the perfect GOP Hypocrite in terms of "personal values."

I'm still in shock that Minnesotans elected Coleman. I mean, Jesus, I can understand Pawlenty's appeal, or Bachmann's appeal, or even Rod Grams' appeal, or even, God help me, George W. Bush's appeal, if all we're talking about is appealing on a personal level. I don't like any of these people myself, but putting myself in others' shoes, I can see how someone else might. But Norm Coleman? I just can't imagine it. He's just so completely repulsive, I can't figure out why anyone would like him. I mean, what's this guy's appeal? Why are the GOP top brass so enamored of this guy that they'll go to bat for him and undermine other Republican candidates in both '98 and '02 so that he gets the nomination?

Please, someone explain to me, what is even remotely appealing about this guy? I ask this sincerely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home