.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, October 19, 2006

A break

If you haven't noticed, I've taken a little bit of a break from politics. You know what? It's been pretty nice. Not reading MDE and Katherine Kersten lately has been pretty fulfilling. Politics is important, and it is interesting, but it is not the sum total of life. If you talk to candidates or their overworked staffers (and not an insignificant number of bloggers), they probably can't see beyond the walls of the campaign, but remember that the minority of people pay close attention to politics, and an even tinier minority obsessively check blogs ten times a day.

I can appreciate that most people find this stuff boring; in fact, I'm pretty lucky to be able to spend time paying attention to politics. I have no major crises to deal with (knock on wood), nothing that really prevents me from following politics in my copious free time if I so choose. For many people, devoting time to following the news is a luxury they don't have.

But as we get close to November 7th, I'm sure my break will end. Too much going on, too weird an election. This is shaping up to be one of the most groundbreaking elections in a generation, so it's hard to ignore. I just hope campaigns will keep on ignoring me; I like not getting phone calls and campaign literature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home