.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, March 04, 2005

Mis-education

A couple days ago as I was reading the City Pages, as I am wont to do on the Wednesday night bus rides home from work, I came across this article on the relatively poor state of American public education. This is hardly news to most people, but one thing did catch my eye, relating to evolution. According to the story, many biology teachers simply skip coverage of evolution in class, especially in the South, Midwest, and West. However, there was no dodging of evolution in Catholic schools, and Catholic dogma accepts the theory of evolution.

What's this? Public education shying away from evolution while religious schools embrace it? As a person who attended Catholic schools, the fact that they have no problem teaching evolution doesn't surprise me at all. Why would there be a problem with teaching it? The fact that public schools are afraid is what really scares me.

I have some rather unorthodox views of public schools due to my private school experience, and it is stories like these that buttress these views. If Catholic schools have no problem with teaching evolution, then no public school should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home