.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Scalito

I don't do national politics, but I do have one question: why would anybody, much less any Democrats, vote for Samuel Alito? Seriously.

It's not about his stand on abortion. It's not about how often he has ruled against individuals. There is only one real issue here, and it is a big one: Alito does not believe in the Republic that I was taught in elementary school, with three co-equal branches of government. He believes that the Executive branch is at the top of the pyramid, with the two other branches subservient to it.

I used to think that the Senate had a long, proud history of independence, and maybe there used to be some truth to that. But anybody who votes Alito to the Supreme Court is simply voting to cut off their gonads and hand them over to the Imperial Presidency. I'm disgusted that so many Senators, some Democrats among them, are willing to do this.

1 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Hammer said...

I am more troubled by Scalito's ethical problems and his refusal to come clean about his relationship with anti-women, anti-minority groups. I don't think Scalito himself is a bigot, but I do think he's consistently lied about his history with the CAP.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home